Tuesday, March 16, 2010

God of Mercy

Matthew 5:43-48


You have heard that it was said, “you shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy”. But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, “then you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what rewards have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brothers only, what do you do more than the others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Even when we hated him, he loved us and died for us. He gives, “good” even though we didn't deserve it or earn it. Good things sometimes happen to bad people, because of the goodness of God. That I know will drive some people nuts. Sometimes in our own self-righteousness, we want other people to pay for what they've done.

I mean, how come some people who could care less about God and other people seem to prosper sometimes. It is simply because of God's goodness and mercy. The same mercy, that was and is directed toward us, is also directed towards them, because the truth is, neither one of us deserved it. The wages of sin is death, and that I know is what I had on. The gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

I praise God that he doesn't just give us what we deserve or are. Don't get me wrong, you cannot just live how you want to live and never expect judgment, but God is a long-suffering God. His mercy endures forever, which is a common theme throughout the Psalms. God is not sitting in heaven with the club just waiting for you to make the mistakes we can whack upside the head.

It is because of that goodness that we as Christians, as his children are called to love even in the very midst of hate. This is not very easy to do, I know, I am challenged, in my faith, every time I read of what others have endured for the cross of Christ, and still offered love to their enemies. It was that love offered to the ones who were torturing them, that drew others to Christ.

I like that phrase that was read above for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. I find it very comforting that the Father would offer me goodness when I don't deserve it. We serve a very good and faithful God, who is even faithful, when we are unfaithful.

In this passage of scripture it is because of God's mercy that he demonstrates towards us, that he wants us to demonstrate that same mercy to others. I find it is much easier to receive mercy than to give mercy. Most of us if we are honest would say the same! We need to change that as Christians, and we have an ability to change that because of the gift that we have been given through Jesus Christ.

Thank you Lord for your mercy, that you've shown me and others around me. Thank you for extending grace when we need it most. Thank you for your abundant blessing. Help us to remember the sacrifice that you made for each and every one of us. Even for those who we would consider our enemies.

Until next time,

May, “the Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make his face shine upon you, and be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up his countenance, and give you peace

No comments:

Post a Comment